Thursday, January 21, 2010

What Haiti has taught me

The recent earthquake in Haiti has taught me that mankind is still good. While many weep over the poor state of social affairs and how society has become out of control, I noticed the outreach that was immediate after Haiti. Driving home I just heard of a telethon taking place with many celebrities giving of their time to raise money for those affected by the quake. Stores have signs hanging with instructions on how to donate. Radio stations are running fundraisers in order to send goods. And all this was done immediately after hearing the news. Similar events were held following Katrina and it seems like the world learned from that. This time it took less planning and the efforts were almost automatic. And now I see that beneath the hard clothing and the i-pods and blackberries, people are still good and caring, hoping to help one in need.

No comments:

Post a Comment